Friday, January 15, 2010

What part of your finger contacts the string when strumming: fingerprint area? cuticle? nail?

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I'm just starting out, and learning from a book, YouTube, etc. When strumming a stringed instrument, are you supposed to make contact with the strings with your cuticle (the fleshy bit on the sides of your nails)? Or the undersides of your fingers where your fingerprints are? Or your nails?





I tend to naturally use my cuticles, but after about an hour it hurts and I sometimes cut myself - is it just a matter of building up a callous over time, or am I learning to do it wrong?What part of your finger contacts the string when strumming: fingerprint area? cuticle? nail?
for your thumb-the side, cuticle (left side on right hand)


yes, it is actuallythe tips of your fingers but the position in which we strum leans towards the cuticles, and yes after you develop callouses the pain goes away after, but if you stop playing for a few weeks and go back it sometimes hurts again even for people who have been playing for years

No comments:

Post a Comment